What is epos?
When it comes to business management, no matter how expanded it is, a system which can help the business to be more accurate in selling and providing services to the customer is very useful. One of the most popular systems many trades use all around the world is epos systems and is becoming more and more noticed during the COVID as it is a cleaner choice as well. In this article we are going to read about epos till systems, understand the advantages and disadvantages of these systems and learn more about epos software and hardware. Don’t miss reading this article!
The article will discuss the following items
- What is an epos system?
- Pros and cons of having an epos system in your business
- Epos software and hardware
What is an epos system?
Epos system, standing for electronic point of sale system, is a comprehensive system which can support you in your retails. Let us give more details about epos till systems by an example:
Consider you are having a retail store (it could be either a big one or a small one- here let’s think about a gift shop- you can think about an epos restaurant or any other business). In the custom way of selling, you may make a mistake by calculating wrong prices or missing to add a product to the customers shopping list. This can cause you, your customer or even both sides a problem. By using a system which concentrates on the products and receipts more accurately, there will remain no more worries about mistakes in accounting of your trade.
If Emma is a customer of your gift shop and plans to buy 20 different items, which way would be easier for the cashier to calculate the taken items? Using an epos system or using a simple calculator and read the price of each item? And which one is more accurate? Of course choosing an electronic point of sale system! That’s how you can save both money and time by a single system.
Pros and cons of having an epos system in your business
In order to convince you that your business needs an epos system, it is a good idea to know the advantages of these systems. Besides advantages, we will review disadvantages as well to have a fare comparison.
Pros of having an epos system
- You can both hire someone to be the operator of the epos (the cashier probably) or let the customer do the computing themselves.
- Using an epos till system will increase customer loyalty as you are offering a clean and accurate way to service your clients. This will also boost your customer’s satisfaction.
- An epos system offers business management data and analysis which can be a great assistant to improve your trade and learn more about your customers.
- The inventory management is also possible by having an electronic point of sale system.
- An epos will ensure you about the selected products and prices.
- The process of ordering and transaction will be increased impressively.
- Your customers will use the promotions both for online orders and offline ones. Note that you can also offer a delivery option on your epos system.
- The robberies will be simply decreased as only scanned products can be taken out of the shop.
- Epos till systems are clean and accurate!
Note that having an epos for some of business types such as epos restaurant or epos for gift shops is a true need.
Cons of having an epos system
There are only two disadvantages of having an epos in your store which is totally worth it!
- The price of epos systems is usually higher than traditional POS systems.
- You need to place the epos system in an appropriate location.
A complete epos till system is the combination of hardware and software. In order to get more familiar with the capability and equipment of each part, let’s review them separately.
Managing and analysis are the main services of an epos software. You can simply buy an epos software and install it on a smartphone or a tablet and use it without any further equipment such as a barcode scanner as the camera of the device will do that for you. You can also read and manage the inventory, have a CRM (customer relationship management) and improve your sales methods in the best way possible.
Note that, depending on the software provider, the options and quality of the software can be different.
Based on your needs, you can add any other equipment to your epos software. The equipment can be:
- A barcode scanner:
In order to share the details of the product with the system, scanning barcodes is the best way. You can have either a multi-line scanner (which can scan the barcode from multiple angels and speed up the scanning process) or a handheld scanner.
- Cash drawer:
A safe drawer which lets the operator store the cash, though most people use credit cards these days.
- Receipt printer:
This device will help you to record the customer’s transactions.
A device to let the customer and the operator read the information of the products.
- A tablet or an iPad:
In case of needing a portable epos device, you can ask the provider to give you a tablet or an iPad instead of all the mentioned devices.
- PDQ terminal:
A device for supporting credit cards on payments.
Having an epos means having a special system for your personal business (specially epos restaurant is a perfect choice to service your customers) which is designed for every trade but is completely tailored for any specific business and can be personalized simply. This flexibility made the epos till systems a popular way of providing services to the customers and let them have a better shopping experience at your store! In this article we learned more about what epos is, how it can benefit your business and getting more familiar with epos hardware and software together. Hope reading this article would be helpful to those who are planning to make a great change in their sales, absorb more customers and boost their income by adding a transaction system.